Monday, February 16, 2009

Personal effects never ending story...

We packed our personal belongings in Cairo on January 14, 2009; back then we were told it will take 2 months for the shipment to reach us in Lagos.
Subsequently, we packed enough clothes and other personal amenities to last us 2 months. This meant 6 large suitcases...
On Feb 5, 09 Tunde my colleague from logistics drops by to pick my passport up because our lot arrived and we should expect delivery in 3 days max.
When I followed up on the 3rd day, it turned out to be a false alert ! Immediately, I contacted the agent in Cairo. She replied quickly saying that our stuff is still in Cairo; it will take 2, 3, or perhaps 4 days before it leaves Cairo to London!
At that point, I decided to take a deep breath and be calm. I reminded myself why the fuss, they already said it takes two months. So I let the matter to rest and took back my passport.
On Saturday the 14, the local agent called me to confirm that the lot is now in Lagos and as we speak it is being cleared through customs. He committed to deliver on Monday. The delivery time today changed by the hour; then it was tomorrow 8pm and everyone is still happy.
Just now, it changed to Wednesday at 10 am!
In reality, it turned out that the crate have not cleared customs yet, so why are they fussing about the delivery date and time; je ne sais pas!
Personally, I will be glad to get it on Friday 20th, anything before that is above expectations!

1 comment:

Tamer Zikry said...

Does not sound very different than how things would have been for us in the Middle East at least a few years ago...I guess we got a lot of uncertainty training back home...it helps...