Sunday, February 15, 2009

Lagos Impressions

Two weeks passed quickly and i am still pinching & asking myself; Am I really in Lagos? or I am in a dream and shall wake up and find myself back in Cairo...

Lagos is vibrant, colorful and kicking forward to say the least.

It certainly still offers challenges in many areas specially security and electricity. Nonetheless you see and feel the changes.

The most visible changes are the large cranes overhead and the many construction sites.. New hotels are coming up as well as many new residential compounds.

You don't see Peugeot cars on the streest as much as before. Now it is www variety of Japanese and other European cars. The Peugeots have almost disappeared.

The grocery scene is not limited to Park n Shop anymore, you have a large choice; Shopright, Goodies, Megaplaza, La pointe, etc.. Though very well stocked with all kind of supplies, it is shockingly expensive! The mall cutlure is creeping in too.

The best part of a city is its markets, I have not had the chance to visit any yet. The one I remember from my first stay was the Yaba Market where i spent many hours in its alleys and small stalls offering everything from food to textile to shoes... Unfortunately for me it has been demolished!!

No comments: